The property was founded in 1790 as one of several silk factories in the area. As the story goes, it was discovered by chance that the climate here was especially well-suited to hatch silk worms. Originally, these came from China, but were transported to inland Provence. The property originally included the neighboring building where the hatching itself took place.
The owner of the hatchery resided at Lou Marronié . Servants and workers lived on the fourth floor (location of the apartment and activity room today). The rest of the mansion housed four generations who met for their large meals in the dining room on the first floor. The garden provided vegetables, strawberries and fruit, along with grapes, lemons, and olives for own consumption. Rabbits were bred to provide the inhabitants with meat. Vegetables were cultivated in the hothouse during winter. The hothouse was heated throughout winter by a coal furnace located at the innermost part of the hothouse. You can still find the furnace, standing in the same place. Clothes were washed in the large wash basins, located at the end of the pool as it stands today. The rocky walls contained several water reservoirs. An ingenious aquaduct and irrigation system provided water for the entire garden. The system is still intact and can therefore be seen today.
During the later years, the house has served as residence for the village mayor who was the previous’ owners grandfather.